Accidents can happen to anyone. They can not always be prevented, so it is useful for everyone to know what to do if this situation happened to a close or stranger.
Carbon monoxide poisoning common and dangerous accident .
Carbon monoxide is a product of combustion that pollutes the air. When it enters the lungs, it causes great harm to the human body. The code for the International Classification of Diseases ICD-10: T58 is the toxic effect of carbon monoxide.
Poisoning with this product is life-threatening because the substance itself is imperceptible. By the time the first symptoms appear, the organs are already suffering.
When such an unpleasant situation arises as carbon monoxide poisoning, home treatment can be applied, but only after the medical staff is examined and agreed with the doctor.
Causes of pathology
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs instantly. If you do not immediately provide emergency assistance correctly, a person dies after 3 minutes with a gas concentration in the air of 1.2%.
The body is instantly affected, as the substance is colorless and odorless. Even a gas mask can not protect from the harmful effects.
As a result of severe damage by exhaust gases, erythrocytes are the first to suffer. They can not carry oxygen to the tissues and organs; it leads to severe hypoxia. The rapid reaction of the nervous system to this state gives rise to malfunctions in its work – these are the first symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Then the muscles of the heart and skeleton are affected. Therefore, the victim can not move, and the heart does not pump blood well. The necessary actions for carbon monoxide poisoning should be carried out instantly. Otherwise, the consequences may become irreversible.
The most common causes of poisoning by this substance are:
- Carrying out car repairs in a room that is not ventilated. It provokes damage to the lungs by exhaust gases.
- Operation of defective heaters, poisoning by household gases.
- The emergence of a fire indoors.
- Lack of good exhaust.
Symptoms of pathology
The characteristic signs of poisoning must be known to provide urgent and timely assistance.
Symptoms of mild poisoning appear fairly quickly as follows:
- a feeling of tapping in the temporal part of the head;
- dry cough that makes it difficult to breathe;
- the appearance of tears;
- pain in the chest;
- auditory and visual hallucinations;
- the purple color of the skin of the head;
Obvious signs of a moderate degree of intoxication:
- feeling tired;
- noise in ears;
- muscle paralysis
Symptoms of acute poisoning:
- loss of consciousness;
- uncontrolled urination and defecation;
- respiratory failure;
- cyanosis of the skin and mucous membranes;
- dilated pupils, poor reaction to light sources;
- coma condition.
Inadequate assistance is fatal. In case of mild to moderate poisoning, the irreversible effects of intoxication can remain:
- frequent dizziness;
- acute headache;
- nervous system disorders;
- developmental halt;
- memory loss;
- a decrease in intellectual abilities.
In acute poisoning, such violations often occur:
- deterioration of blood circulation in the brain;
- swelling of the brain;
- impairment of hearing and vision, or their complete loss;
- toxic pulmonary edema that goes into severe pneumonia.
People most at risk:
- Those who abuse alcohol.
- Smoking tobacco products indoors.
- People are living with asthma.
- I am suffering from nervous and physical stress.
- Pregnant and children.
Stages of first aid at home
To save the victim and minimize negative consequences, you should know how first aid is provided for carbon monoxide poisoning before an ambulance arrives.
An algorithm of actions:
- The first thing to do is to stop the effects of carbon monoxide on a person. To do this, it must be removed from a room with a high concentration of harmful substances to fresh air or use an oxygen mask. In the room to open all the windows, create ventilation.
- When a respiratory arrest or weak, shallow breathing, artificial respiration should be performed. At the same time for thirty clicks on the chest to take two breaths. Remove the tie, unbutton his shirt.
- It is best to lay a man to the side.
- To stimulate respiration, bring the victim to consciousness and activate blood flow to the head area, you should bring ammonia to his nose. But it should be approached at a certain distance, which should be at least a centimeter.
- Further, it is necessary to improve cerebral circulation. It is necessary to rub the patient’s chest, and put mustard plasters on the back and chest.
- Hot tea or coffee will help to stimulate breathing.
- Then you need to lay the victim on its side, warm it up well, protecting it from overcooling and call an ambulance. It am the first aid in case of carbon monoxide poisoning.
There is a special remedy – Atsizol, which must be taken in case of carbon monoxide poisoning. Such a drug is available in the ambulance brigade and is injected intramuscularly.
It is quite effective against acute lethal carbon monoxide poisoning. The faster Acizol is administered, the more likely the survivor has a chance of survival and the effectiveness of subsequent medical procedures.
Home treatment with folk remedies
Treatment of the effects of poisoning gas can be carried out at home after the victim receives qualified professional assistance and permission is at home. To do this, you need to know what to do in case of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Treatment with folk methods is as effective as drug treatment and is able to restore health in a short time. But it should be used under the supervision of doctors and after their approval.
Natural products are popular because of their safety and environmental friendliness. But each ingredient from the recipes of traditional medicine has certain properties that can ambiguously affect the human body.
Therefore, for safety reasons, it is better to get a doctor’s approval. The most effective means:
- The use of an infusion of cranberries and lingonberries. To prepare such a tool you need to mix 100 grams of dried cranberries and 200 grams of cranberries. The ingredients are well ground and add 300 grams of boiling water. Insist the drug for at least two hours, strain and take 50 milliliters six times a day.
- From carbon monoxide poisoning helps knotweed infusion. It is used to quickly remove aggressive substances from the body. You will need two tablespoons of dry powdered raw materials and 0.5 liters of boiled water. Infused decoction and take 0.5 cups three times a day.
- Rose Radiola extract will help to restore the activity of the body after suffering poisoning. Alcohol can be bought at the pharmacy kiosk and take 10 drops three times a day, after having dissolved in a small amount of water. It is important to ensure that the last reception was no later than 19.00. Together with the tincture, you need to use sweetened water with honey.
- A decoction of the roots of dandelion medicinal. It is an excellent anti-toxic agent. To prepare, 6 grams of dried chopped raw material should be poured with boiling water – 250 milliliters and cook for 15 minutes. Then insist half or half an hour, strain and add warm boiled water to the initial volume. Take a tablespoon in the morning, afternoon and evening.
- Broth from the root of clefthoof. To cook it you need to take a tablespoon of raw materials, put in a saucepan and add 300 milliliters of cold water. Boil on low heat for at least 15 minutes, then strain the prepared product and take in the form of heat. A single dose is 50 milliliters.
- In case of obvious symptoms of the patient, it is necessary to take out to the fresh air, to wipe it with vinegar diluted with water 1: 1. Then this solution should be drunk, at one time 100 milliliters of liquid.
Prevention of carbon monoxide poisoning
The consequences of pathology are tough and challenging to eliminate. Even after effective treatment, you need to monitor the victim for a particular time.
To avoid an unpleasant and dangerous situation, it is necessary to observe some preventive measures:
- Operate only fixed heaters.
- In the presence of furnace heating in the house, you should continuously check the ventilation system and periodically clean the chimneys from soot.
- Check the dampers when using stoves and fireplaces on the premises.
- If a column or a kerosene lamp was used, then it is necessary to ventilate the room.
- You can not start the car and leave it in working condition for a long time in a garage without ventilation.
- Avoid long stay near the smoky trails.
It is essential to be vigilant and understand that carbon monoxide poisoning is a life-threatening condition — a great risk of death and irreversible complications.
Everything can be resolved in time and correctly provided first aid and adequate treatment under the supervision of doctors, even at home. Do not neglect your safety.