People drink coffee not only to enjoy its taste. Just a cup of coffee is a great way to relieve fatigue and cheer up. There are different opinions regarding the benefits or harm of a drink for a person. But most of all people are concerned about the question: “Does coffee increase or decrease pressure?”.
Scientists have found that the drink contains about a thousand different chemicals. Moreover, 80% of their total number belongs to the aromatic elements, giving a pleasant taste and aroma, which is appreciated throughout the world. And only the remaining 20% determine its properties and characteristics.
The main substance that has a strong effect on the body is caffeine. It excites the nervous system and accelerates blood circulation, providing an invigorating effect on the whole organism.
Caffeine is widely used in medicine. It helps with headaches, serves as a diuretic and stimulating energizer. It is even used for weight loss.
However, the use of caffeine requires caution. First, it can increase the pressure. Secondly, caffeine is addictive. This is facilitated by the special substances that make up it: theophylline and theobromine. It is they who make a person a real coffee lover because, without this first doping, the body cannot wake up.
The composition of coffee also includes elements that can prolong the effect of increasing pressure for several hours.
The effect of coffee on pressure
Does coffee raise or lower blood pressure? It has long been known that coffee acts on pressure due to caffeine, which is included in its composition. Caffeine, getting into the blood, stimulates the nervous system. When this occurs, a spasm of blood vessels and the blood pressure rises automatically.
Such effects on the body due to the ability of caffeine to block adenosine. This biologically active substance produced by the human body is responsible for the inhibition of vigor and sleep stimulation.
As a result, the body is excited, and the feeling of tiredness and drowsiness disappears.
In addition to the effects on adenosine, adrenaline production is stimulated. Adrenaline further enhances the effect of vigor and activity.
Thus, a drunk cup of coffee, starts a cascade of chemical reactions in the body, forcing the body to work in active mode.
However, the flip side of the coin is an increase in pressure and intensive work of the heart. Does coffee increase pressure? Yes!
Patterns of an influence of cafe on blood pressure
Scientific studies have shown that coffee affects a person’s blood pressure in different ways. Experiments have revealed quite interesting patterns:
- When drinking coffee by healthy people, pressure variations are minor.
- In people suffering from hypertension, the pressure can dramatically and dramatically increase to critical values that threaten health.
- 15% of people who use coffee have even slightly decreased their blood pressure.
- With regular and long-term use of coffee, the body adapts to caffeine and stops responding.
Indications of pressure at which the use of coffee is not desirable
|Arterial pressure||Systolic pressure, mm Hg||Diastolic pressure, mm Hg|
|Optimal||Less than 120||Less than 80|
|Normal||Less than 130||Less than 85|
|Elevated normal||130 – 139||85 – 89|
|1 degree||140 – 159||90 – 99|
|2 degree||160 – 179||100 – 109|
|3 degree||More than 180||More than 110|
|Borderline||140 – 149||Less than 90|
|Isolated systolic hypertension||More than 140||Less than 90|
Use of hypertonic coffee
For people suffering from high blood pressure, it is best to refuse coffee, or at least reduce the number of cups drunk during the day. Oddly enough, but to get rid of fatigue, most people prefer instant coffee rather than natural coffee. But it is ground natural coffee that works more smoothly.
Also, it has a more pleasant taste and aroma. Soluble analog is significantly inferior in taste to natural characteristics, but it has a more pronounced effect.
- In order not to harm the health of the daily dose of coffee should not exceed three cups (300 mg) per day.
- It is best to use coffee for people with normal or even low blood pressure.
- It is advisable not to drink coffee before bedtime and in the evening. Especially you cannot drink coffee before bed for people who have insomnia. It is best to drink a cup of coffee in the morning, before work, and in the afternoon, after lunch, to add energy to the body and improve your mental and physical activity.
- The stimulating effect of coffee on an organism that is tired and in need of rest is not beneficial.
Coffee will give a boost of energy, accelerate blood circulation, which will positively affect the general well-being and ability to concentrate attention.